Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day 7 - Keeping the faith....

Tonight, I am home. I am actually at my mom's house right now. One of her scottish terriers, Mack, got a staph infection while we have been gone. Due to Laurie's suppression of her immune system, she cannot be exposed to any illness. In fact, a staph infection after surgery killed our grandfather. So we are a bit over anxious...

So, my dear cousin Rachel and I have stripped mom's house from top to bottom cleaning and washing everything that she has. She has alot of linens!

Our neighbor and good friends have been keeping the dogs and got him on antibiotics for the infection. I am thankful that she saw it and got him treated before they come home. Joyce and Tom have been taking good care of the dogs.

Come home you ask? Well, mom was released this afternoon and is resting comfortably in a hotel in Gainesville. My Aunt Rita (her sister) is with her, taking care of her and Laurie. I came home and got to see my wonderful family and clean. Mom's pain is much better tonight and she sounds a bit like her old self. It will be a long road but Aunt Rita is helping her rest and take it slow.

Laurie's doctors have formulated a plan for the new kidney. I don't think that I mentioned it, but they attached the new kidney to the 2 old kidneys that she had. So the old one that is working is still secreting the toxins in her system so we don't know what is happening with the new one. They can see it working on ultrasound, but the old one is trying to take over. So they are giving her big doses of drugs to kill off the old kidney and allow the new one to function hopefully properly. If her levels do not come down tonight, they will do a biopsy to see what is going on. They are hopeful that they can help. She is much more mobile today - in fact I heard that she visited the Shands gift shop this afternoon.

I know that God is listening and although it is not in my timing, that his is perfect. I am resting in the many scriptures that you all sent me today. I have spent the last hour reading and weeping over them.

My prayer for you and your family today is Psalm 29:11
God gives strength to his people.He blesses his people with peace.

Ps. 121:3 "My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved, he who keeps you will not slumber."God has been up all night with you all working and caring for you Holly because you trust in Him . 2 Chronicles 16:9 " The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show his might in behalf of those whose heart is whole toward him."He is seeking out ways to do you good. Please continue to trust in Him and be patient, I know it will pay off eventually.Isaiah 64:4 "From of old no one has heard or perceived by the ear,no eye has seen a God beside thee, who works for those who wait for him."Jeremiah 32:40-41 "I will not turn away from doing good to them: and I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me. I will rejoice in doing them good...with all my heart and all my soul"2 Timothy 4:17 "The Lord stood by me and gave me strength to proclaim the message fully."His ways are above our ways Holly and we can not always understand fully what He is doing or why, but let that be a comfort to you, that God knows these things and loves you and wants to help you.

From a friend about a loved one...
I remember the following New Years Eve, we were with the whole family and saying what we were thankful for from God for the year. And I remember Amy crying and saying she was thankful for the Cancer. Not because she suffered, but because she learned that "God is the kindest person she knows." I remembered being "wowed" over her reflection on her suffering. I just pray that you are able to look back and be changed when you can see God's unmistakable hand print on all of this.

I pray that you would feel God's presence close to you--
I pray for your mom, for relief from the intense pain, that she would call out to God in this struggle.
I pray for Laurie--that this very discouraging news would lead her to seek MORE, to desire to know peace despite circumstances, to be freed from her bondage.
I will pray that whatever unfolds in the next few days, Laurie's eyes would open up and see God's fingerprints everywhere.
I pray for God to place his loving hands on that kidney and tell it to WORK!
Psalm 118
Give Thanks to the Lord, for he is good; His love endures forever... In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes..... I was pushed back and about to fall, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation... I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done.... This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. O Lord, save us; O Lord grant us success. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord..... You are my God and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you. Give thanks to the Lord for he is good; his love endures forever.

A couple days ago I felt overcome by a burden I’ve been carrying. I was so focused on my situation...what I needed to do...what I was going to do...what was the Lord going to do to help me? Then, it slammed me. Lord, I’m yours. What would you like me to do for you? (Not that the Lord needs me, but that I need to serve him...not the other way around J).

Anyway, I wanted to share that with you as I felt “slammed” by my thoughts.

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I love you all.

H

Books I Am Reading

  • Humility by CJ Mahaney
  • Praying Life by Paul Miller